Dr Kashmir Singh, was born on 30.06.1951, in a village – Kultana, District – Rohtak, Haryana. After completing initial schooling from the native village he acquired:
- B Sc from Punjab University Chandigarh
- M Sc –Mycology and Plant Pathology, from Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi
- Ph D – Plant Pathology, from Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi
After serving for a short stint in the Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India, as a Plant Pathologist, he joined Indian Police Service ( 1978 batch RR) in Uttar Pradesh and during an illustrious career as a police officer developed expertise in following areas:
A. Security , Investigation and Establishment :
- Crime prevention, investigation and dealing with Law and order issues including Communal disturbances, in almost all the important and highly crime prone and communally sensitive districts of UP state in the capacities of District Superintendent/ Senior Superintendents of Police, Deputy Inspectors General and Inspectors General of Police.
- Men management, Training, Security operations and human resource development, as Commandant, Deputy Inspector General(DIG), Inspector general (IG) of Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC), DIG Home guards and Joint Director Civil Defence.
- Establishment matters as DIG ,IG-Karmik (Personnel) and Additional Director General of Police (ADG)-Karmik (Personnel).
- Specialized areas i.e. Economic Offences Wing, Anti Corruption Organization of State Police, Telecommunication wing and Housing & welfare wing.
B. Infrastructure Development, Training, Skill Development and empowerment of Youths:
- Organizing and promoting Sports of UP Police as Secretary of UP Police Sports Control Board as well as public & Rural sports.
- Secretary to the Chief Minister of UP, dealing with the matters related to Home Ministry and Sports Ministry on behalf of the Chief Minister of UP.
- Dealt with Naxalism (Left Wing Extremism), the most important internal security problem facing the country; as Joint Secretary, Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India, in the arena of both security and development. I was nodal agency for development of critical infrastructure of roads,education,health, power and security sector. There was focus on skill developmental activities by local police of the States as well as by para military forces deployed there, under Civic Action Program, which was envisaged,administered and promoted by me. Local youths were given free training in the arena of employable skills and also ensuring their placements.
- As Additional Director General of Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), apart from coordination with various Ministries and Departments of Govt of India and various States, supervised and monitored the induction and performance of CISF dealing with Industrial Security, Civil Aviation security; Security of critical Infrastructure, iconic buildings, important Govt. buildings , mega projects of national importance, IT, petroleum, Sea ports, Metro, projects of atomic energy, department of space research, security of Consulate, VVIP security and training suitable manpower for meeting the challenges of security in the above mentioned areas. Training and skill development sector was of special focus for me. Accordingly all the training centers including state of art Academy, National Industrial Security Academy,NISA, were revitalized for imparting training in the arena of Soft Skill, Civil Aviation security Skill, Hospitality, Fire Safety & Engineering, along with security related subjects.
Due to illustrious career and outstanding performance as a police officer the President of India awarded him with following decorations:
- Police Medal for Gallantry -PMG
- Indian Police Medal for Long and Meritorious Services -IPM
- President police Medal for Distinguished Services -PPM
He has been associated with number of sports organizations of State, National and International levels of Judo, Chess, Golf, Non Olympic sports. He has been promoter of disability sports in a big way. He is presently, President of All India Cricket Association of Deaf and Chairman of Deaf Cricket International Federation. National and International tournaments of deaf Cricket have been organized under his patronage.
Apart from being a sports organizer and promoter, he has been an outstanding sportsman particularly in Golf.
Some of his Sports Achievements at National and International levels are:
- Champion and Best Golfer of the Indian Police in 2002
- Gold Medal in Golf – World Police & Fire Games, Barcelona, Spain in 2003
- Silver Medal in Golf – World Police & Fire Games, Quebec City, Canada in 2005
- Gold Medals (Three out of four events) in Golf – World Police & Fire Games, Adelaide, Australia in 2007